"Have faith in yourselves, great convictions are the mother of great deeds"
- Swami Vivekananda (January 12, 1863 -
July 4, 1902) His birth day is celebrated as a National Youth day.
-----Quotes by Swami Vivekananda
1. Choose the highest ideal and live your life upto that. Look
at the "ocean" and not at the wave.
2. That which tends to increase the divinity in you is virtue,
and that which tends to increase brutality in you is vice.
3. He who sees Shiva in the poor, in the weak, and in the
diseased, really worships Shiva.
4. Purity in thought, speech, and act is absolutely necessary
for anyone to be religious. Purity is strength. Spiritual truth is
5. The ideal of the man is to see God in everything. The real
evil is idleness which is the principal cause of our poverty.
6. Everyone should know that there is no salvation except
through the conquering of desires.
7. Death being so certain, it is better to die for a good cause.
8. Religion is the manifestation of the Divinity already in man.
9. Your country reqires heroes, be heroes!
10. To me the very essence of education is concentration of the
mind, not the collecting of facts.
11. Each soul is potentially divine.
12. Religion is the idea which is raising the brute unto man,
and man unto God.
13. All power is within you; you can do anything and
everything. Believe in that.
14. Work, work, work - let this be your motto.
15. Now the only way out is to listen to the words of the Lord
in the Gita.
16. Be a hero. Always say, "I have no fear".
17. Struggle hard to get money, but don't get attached to it.
18. Feel that you are great and you become great.
19. To devote your life to the good of all and to the happiness
of all is religion. Whatever you do for your own sake is not religion.
20. At my will mountains will crumble up. Have that sort of
energy, that sort of will; work hard, and you will reach the goal.
21. It is those foolish people who identify themselves with
their bodies that piteously cry, 'Weak, weak, we are weak'.
22. Keep the motto before you: "Elevation of the masses without
injuring their religion".
23. Man never progresses from error to truth, but from truth to
truth, from lesser truth to higher truth.
24. Avoid all weakness, for weakness is sin, weakness is death.
25. Never talk about the faults of others, no matter how bad
they may be. Nothing is ever gained by that.
26. I shall inspire men everywhere until the world shall know
that it is one with God.
27. Let us go forward and do yet greater things.
28. The more selfish a man, the more immoral he is.
29. Give to the weak, for there all the gift is needed.
30. Knowledge exists, man only discovers it.
31. Give up all desire for enjoyment in earth or heaven.
32. Be courageous. Do not try to lead your brethren, but serve them.
33. Be the witness and do not react, only thus can you be happy.
34. None can help you, help yourself; work out your own salvation.
35. Be not afraid of anything. You will do marvellous work.
36. Try to love anybody and everybody.
37. You have to gwo from the inside out. None can teach you,
non can make you spiritual. There is no other teacher but your own
38. Know it for certain that you are in everything.
39. Go on bravely. Do not expect success in a day or a year.
40. Let all your nerves vibrate through the backbone of your religion.
41. Do not talk much, but feel the spirit within you.
42. If you want to be spiritual, you must renounce.
43. Your way is the best for you, but that is no sign that it
is the best for others.
44. Renounce the lower so that you may get the higher.
45. Where can we go to find God if we cannot see Him in our own
hearts and in every living being?
46. Your work is to serve the poor and miserable, without
distinction of caste or colour.
47. Help another because yu are in him and he is in you.
48. The poor, the illiterate, the ignorant, the
afflicted,...let these be your God. Know that service to these alone
is the highest religion.
49. If I am in the dark, let me light a lamp.
50. The earth's bravest and best will have to sacrifice
themselves for the good of many, for the welfare of all.
51. Every duty is holy, and devotion to duty is the highest
form of worship of God.
52. We only get what we deserve. It is a lie when we say, the
world is bad and we are good. It can never be so.
53. You will understand the mighty strength of Krishna better
with a little of strong blood in you.
54. It is struggle against nature and not conformity to nature
that makes man what he is.
55. Each work has to pass through these stages - ridicule,
opposition and then acceptance.
56. First there should be strict integrity...Secondly, entire
devotion to the cause
57. The will is not free - it is a phenomenon bound by cause
and effect - but there is something behind the will which is free.
58. You fail only when you do not strive sufficiently to
manifest infinite power.
59. Whatever you do, devote your whole Mind, Heart, and Soul to it.
60. Whatever you think, that you will be. If you think
yourselves weak, weak you will be; if you think yourselves strong,
strong you will be.
61. Never mind failures; they are quite natural, they are the
beauty of life - these failures.
62. He works best who works without any motive, neither for
money, nor for fame, nor for anything else.
63. The new religion says that he is an atheist who does not
believe in himself.
64. Neither seek nor avoid, take what comes.
65. You should work like a master and not as a slave; work
incessantly, but do not do a slave's work
66. Believe that the soul is immortal, infinite and all powerful.
67. Even if the order be wrong, first obey and then contradict it.
68. Be a hero. Always say, "I have no fear".
69. Our first duty is not to hate ourselves; because to advance
we must have faith in ourselves first and then in God.